So obviously, I slacked off for some days. It's been an interesting and busy few days; when it rains it pours.
Something I've been thinking about lately is what a disposable society we are. I know, that's a blanket statement that doesn't apply to everyone, but I am certainly a culprit. I love disposable tissues. I always keep one of those little packets on me, you just never know when you can use one.
There are all kinds of disposable products, items that are meant for a single or few uses and then intended to be disposed of. Can you imagine going back to cloth nappies? Ew. Granted I don't have a baby, so it wouldn't effect my life the way it would someone who's currently using disposable diapers on their baby.
Even clothes and shoes have become disposable items. Made and sold cheaply, worn for a year at most and then discarded. It's not worth taking the time to mend a garment that cost $20 and could be replaced in less time than it would take to repair it. Even shoes can be less expensive to replace than to take to a cobbler and have resoled, patched or repaired.
The worst of all though, it seems even fellow humans have become disposable quantities. And I don't even mean the atrocities that occur amongst humans, I just mean between average people. Granted I have a huge negative bias towards on-line dating, but it is the worst offender as it is set up for those who think of their fellow humans as disposable!
It seems next to impossible to avoid the person who flips through profiles and dismisses potential dates (not even mates) on a whim. Put those same people in a room, face-to-face and the outcome would be vastly different. I simply don't understand the idea of people in your life as 'ok, but just for now'.
People are not disposable! Relationships, of ALL kinds, take work. This isn't news. But it feels people are less involved with each other these days. Do they just not care? Or do they see everyone as replaceable? Disposable...
No comments:
Post a Comment