As excited as I am to start work, having been unemployed for 3 months is much too long for me, I might be just the littlest bit sad I will miss Sundays such as this one. It's a cloudy Sunday, not too warm but not too cold either, just right actually with the windows open and a hint of breeze ruffling the curtains.
I felt like making pancakes for breakfast, and luckily had some pancake mix in the cupboard. So I had a leisurely late breakfast of pancakes and coffee. Someone in my building across the courtyard was listening to an opera program on the radio, Italian arias.
So for about an hour I enjoyed my pancakes with a little Puccini. He played Pavarotti singing Nessun Dorma from 'Turandot'. It was spectacular. It also happens to be one of my favorite arias. It's just so incredibly moving, the way it builds and the resolve of strength in his voice. I used to get chills hearing it sung live the season we did it at Santa Fe Opera, and I still get a little shiver listening to it now.
I'd forgotten how much I like some opera. It also made me think of friends I worked with in Santa Fe that I've somewhat lost touch with. So thank you neighbor for playing that radio program loud enough I could hear it wafting across the courtyard and making me reminisce about summers gone by. I'm having lunch this week with my old roommate and good friend from Santa Fe Opera, Chelsea.
Speaking of which... I've missed birthdays recently. Sooo, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Ginny, Clarion, Gina, Chelsea and all you Virgos and Libras!!!
I understand how you can be torn about going back to work. There really is something wonderful about a lazy Sunday spent at home. While Chris and I were both waiting for shows to start, we indulged in various activities that the "normal" folk get to do on weekends...like taking the ferry to Governor's Island for the Unicycle Festival. It's wonderful to be working, but those glimpses into the outside world that we rarely get to be a part of can be intoxicating.
ReplyDeleteAs for music wafting in your apartment window. Every time I hear music from a radio or record, or a piano being played by beginners learning their scales, or warm up exercises being sung, all of which are carried in our window by a soft passing breeze, I always think how very quintessential New York it is. Like fire escapes, and taxi cabs, and summer sidewalk parties in the heat of the night. I should take a cue from you, and say thank you to whomever is responsible. Sometimes it really does brighten my day a little.