So, I don't often get to go see theatre since my schedule is usually the same as most shows, but my friend Janet who works at Mary Poppins was offered tickets to today's matinee of A Life in the Theatre and she asked me to go, and since I haven't started work yet, I could go!
It was absolutely fantastic!! I had no idea it was a Mamet play. It really surprised me considering how sentimental and fun it is. It's just Patrick Stewart and T.R. Knight, both of whom are incredible. A quick 90 minutes of a fastforwarded snapshot of, literally, a life in the theatre.
It just absolutely nails it on the head. Both hysterical and poignant in it's accuracy. Amazing. I can't say enough good things about it! I was laughing outloud and, embarassingly, even snorted a few times. I'm not sure if non-theatre people would enjoy it as thoroughly, but I would absolutely see it again!
My friend Moira is dressing Patrick Stewart and the sheer number of costume changes, and they're FULL changes, not just switch out a hat type changes has got to be like a marathon! As she puts it, from the top of the show 'til the end it's like being in a free fall, no stopping it. MAJOR applause to all the crew who are busting their butts backstage (and onstage too), I wish you could actually see all the changes and everything, then you'd get a true glimpse at backstage life instead of interpreted snapshots.
Now, if we could just get Mamet to call us 'dresser' instead of 'the woman', or hey!, how about using a proper name?! Consider that, ok, Davy?
So, if you can, go see A Life in the Theatre at the Schoenfeld Theatre on West 45th Street until January 2nd!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment